When my clients bought their home, this space was a musty side porch. It looked nice in the before shot, but you can see the rough-shod painted paneling, and the drop ceiling. One day my clever clients decided to give it an overhaul. Here is what they did:
– Ripped out paneling and drop ceiling, insulated the walls and ceiling, and installed new drywall (notice how they left the ceiling vaulted when they were finished rather than dropping the angle back down).
– Re-framed the windows with new moldings.
– Built pre-made closets and bench seats to fit the space.
– Added hooks for hanging jackets.
– Added a fun light fixture.
The space now is useful, bright and pretty. The owners tell me that since creating this elegant area with ample storage for coats and shoes the rest of the house stays neat and tidy. As a bonus, the space is so pleasant and sunny their children like to bring their easel out and do art projects!